AIMING ACCURACY

general Contract Jack

Alexa

Post by Alexa » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:19 am

What's puzzling me is why the vanishing point isn't the center of the screen. Mayby Jack is blind on the right eye and his left eye sits below his nose?

What I wrote above about the VP of course is BS, since the VP should not change. Still I must have done something wrong, or the inaccuracy of Nolf2 is quite big, since it moved (and I had clear lines for its determination).

Still the shots are not bound to follow the VP, wherever it is (cruel, why would you always shoot the poor VP?).
CateArcher wrote: :blink:  ;)  :huh:  :wacko:  :huh:  :unsure:  :mellow:
Stop being sarcastic :)) :blink: :unsure: ((awwsmile)) :mellow: :huh: :angry: :rolleyes: :D :P :))
OMG, worst unnecessary use of smilies ever! LOL wanted to add more, but the board replied:
THE FOLLOWING ERROR(S) WERE FOUND
You have posted a message with more emoticons that this board allows. Please reduce the number of emoticons you've added to the message
And that's a good thing!
People who are rather more than six feet tall and nearly as broad across the shoulders often have uneventful journeys. People jump out at them from behind rocks then say things like, "Oh. Sorry. I thought you were someone else."

Lla

Post by Lla » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:09 am

CateArcher wrote: hahahahahahahahaha :))
gotcha :banana: :))

Lla

Post by Lla » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:30 am

Alexa wrote: One more thought:

Let's say you shoot a wall in the distance. The shots end up in the middle of the screen, the crosshair. Now you don't move at all, but remove the wall, or better shift it farther away from you. The shots are bound to end up more on the upper left of the crosshair, since we are shooting from the lower right, right?

This isn't happening since the Z component isn't included in the calculation of the target point of the shots. You calculate the Z component from the middle screen coordinates and THEN you got the 3D coords of the muzzle and the target point and then you can check if the shot hits an obstacle in the way between your target and the muzzle (one should be able to verify this).
Please get URA's "lightsabertest7" mod.
No only a great job he did but you'll see that his golden 357 is accurate and that is the reason why I started this topic.
I wont debate about the scope on a 4" barrel though (his creation) but I expect you to be surprised by the gun's pertinency :thumb:

Then there's no balistic involved (apart the hand grenades) whatever the mod is but altogether it's a game we are playing for fun and I wish guns, blood and death would only be and remain virtual for ever! ((awwsmile))

"By the way last time I programmed, I set infinity to 10,000. :P" :))

Lla

Post by Lla » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:52 am

Are you an army guy? :scared: :grin:

Of course, if Jack is blind on the right eye, he'd better use his left side or get the proper drastic correction on the guns he uses! :))

But in the game we usually practice short range instinctive shooting with both eyes opened ;)

Then the VP can be shot at random as its fonction is to vanish faster than anyone can shoot but next time we're together in CJ, please go stand on the horizon line, i'd like to take a picture :))

And do not, I repeat, do not set smilies to infinity: you'll blow up the site and Spawn's gonna be :mad: at you ! :))

Alexa

Post by Alexa » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:04 am

Lla wrote:Are you an army guy?  :scared:  :grin:

Of course, if Jack is blind on the right eye, he'd better use his left side or get the proper drastic correction on the guns he uses!  :))

But in the game we usually practice short range instinctive shooting with both eyes opened  ;)

Then the VP can be shot at random as its fonction is to vanish faster than anyone can shoot but next time we're together in CJ, please go stand on the horizon line, i'd like to take a picture  :))

And do not, I repeat, do not set smilies to infinity: you'll blow up the site and Spawn's gonna be  :mad: at you ! :))
Since I'm a well known flipflopper, I take back that I took back that the vanishing point isn't fixed. THIS is BS. We can even have up to 3 VPs within the projection of a 3D environment to 2D. The VP(s) depend on how the projection plane intersects the 3D world.

I caaaaannn't install the mod, since I dun own CJ. Just have Nolf1+2. I played the demo though ((2)) . Gonna buy it some day, promised! (And will try pegasus!).

What is different about that other gun? Where do the shots end up? I'd be shocked if it wasn't the center of the screen. I still think the trajectory of the shots (in the 3D world) depends on the distance, but X and Y on the viewport are always the same. This means that the angle of the shots measured against the viewports normal always changes and we don't shoot straight (necessarily at least). I'm def. sure about this in Nolf2 anyway.

Well, whenever I get shot, I vanish. From that we can conclude that the vanishing point is just a regular point that's clever enough to vanish! And funny enough, while playing Nolf2 all players ask me for a picture. I usually end up dead, but since you seem totally trustworthy you're welcome to take one!

I'm sorry :sorry:. I'm totally unable :insane: to express myself :argue: without using smilies! :P I dun know why! :o
Lla wrote: Then there's no balistic involved (apart the hand grenades) whatever the mod is but altogether it's a game we are playing for fun and I wish guns, blood and death would only be and remain virtual for ever!
Yay! I even mourn the players I shoot in the game. That's why I never get more than one kill in a row!
People who are rather more than six feet tall and nearly as broad across the shoulders often have uneventful journeys. People jump out at them from behind rocks then say things like, "Oh. Sorry. I thought you were someone else."

Lla

Post by Lla » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:01 am

URA wrote:
Lla wrote: It goes for ALL weapons ! :mad:

I tested and measured all CJ guns and if? of any interest, I can show the results here.

Range, angle and centering are false in all cases and,? since the cat's out of the bag, what can be done about it?

The only accurate gun is Ura's 357 magnum (in his cool "lightsabertest7" mod) with which "instinctive" shooting is possible and efficient but I did'nt test his other guns though.
The only thing I can see that can be done about this is to play with each weapons position setting in attributes\weapons.txt, but this will only move the player view model not rotate it.

Example (Laser Rifle):
//from:
//Pos = <0.070000, -0.817499, 0.270000> //<x, y, z>
//to:
Pos = <0.070000, 0.000000, 0.270000>
I went to attributes/weapons and tried to work it out but it's beyond my ability.

Yet the screenshot you show is very interesting.
Is there some place where I could get to learn how to modifie the player's view model for each weapon? (beginner's level!)

URA
More Advanced Member
More Advanced Member

Post by URA » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:56 pm

Lla wrote:I went to attributes/weapons and tried to work it out but it's beyond my ability.

Is there some place where I could get to learn how to modifie the player's view model for each weapon? (beginner's level!)
If you can compile CJ's source code (MSVC++ 7.1 required), you can then compile a debug version of cshell.dll and then be able to use debug cheat codes, one of them is mpwpos (weapon position). You can then move a PV model in real time with the movement, jump and crouch keys, but I don't know how to save the position setting's this way when your done :))

Lla

Post by Lla » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:07 am

URA wrote:
Lla wrote:I went to attributes/weapons and tried to work it out but it's beyond my ability.

If you can compile CJ's source code (MSVC++ 7.1 required), you can then compile a debug version of cshell.dll and then be able to use debug cheat codes, one of them is mpwpos (weapon position). You can then move a PV model in real time with the movement, jump and crouch keys, but I don't know how to save the position setting's this way when your done :))
Thanks Ura I really appreciate for your help!
Still all this is new to me and it'll take some time till I make some progress ((2))
but I will (please be patient) :mad:
As I said b4 this is chinese to me but I was wrong: chinese is (all in all) easier to me than your knowledge :))
if only Spawn would give me a hand but he is somewhere out and does'nt care about it (bad , very bad guy) :))
Anyway I'll try to work it out and get back to you once I've improved a bit (I'm hopeless)

Lla

Post by Lla » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:11 am

Dear Alexa,

There's not much to say.
maybe you should get CJ first and then download the "funny farm" map (where life is happy all the time) and send us a post card from there.

Best regards,

Cate

Alexa

Post by Alexa » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:46 am

:insane: I don't get ya.

And I will buy CJ, just wait. And then I'll need some noggin to check my aiming accuracy. :evil:

CateArcher

Post by CateArcher » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:30 am

:blink: now im confused first why did u a.k.a Lla put best regards cate and wth is the funny farm :wacko: :huh: :mellow: ;) :huh: :unsure: :grin:

CateArcher

Post by CateArcher » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:31 am

btw Alexa i really like ur pic :) :D :thumb:

Lla

Post by Lla » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:19 am

CateArcher wrote: :blink: now im confused first why did u a.k.a Lla put best regards cate and wth is the funny farm :wacko: :huh: :mellow: ;) :huh: :unsure: :grin:
:banana: just to say that i'm already there at the funny farm :))

CateArcher

Post by CateArcher » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:24 pm

I c :))

Lla

Post by Lla » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:47 pm

CateArcher wrote: I c :))
WITH A FUNNEL ON MY HEAD :insane:

jedwabna poszewka 50x60