No Tag Zones

Lithtech Jupiter engine

Belladonna

No Tag Zones

Post by Belladonna » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:36 pm

Over at UnityHQ people have been talking about a NOLF wish list and one of the wishes was to have the area where you spawn be untaggable. Spawn tagging isn't done by decent players, but as you know, there are some idiots out there. So I was wondering if any of you mapping geniuses know if it's possible to create a dead zone when it comes to tagging?

http://www.unityhq.net/forums//forums/inde...owtopic=429&hl=

Sgt.PEPPER

Post by Sgt.PEPPER » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:50 pm

the easyist way i can think of is, make a box 1 sided bushs about 128 units tall 64 wide 64 deep over the spawn points that way wen you spawn you can see any tags + kittys and pick them up before you walk out of the spawn box ...from the out side of the box u just see a box thats has a texture on it and you cant go into it
or place tags there :D

Spawn
Admin
Admin

Post by Spawn » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:42 pm

Yeah, that would be a good way to do it in new maps, but it won't work in the other maps that is already out there.. Maybe the GSPs could be modified to have soem sort of box physics, but that would require the server to run a mod (that I have no clue how to make) lol

Belladonna

Post by Belladonna » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:37 pm

Oh wow, someone replied! Of course I have no clue what you're suggesting, but I'm happy someone thought about it. :D

sonic goo

Post by sonic goo » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:23 pm

If you gave it an invisible texture, then the spawners wouldn't be able to 'glitch' anyone who happens to be around when they spawn.

Of course, all that would also mean that the spawnspot is placed somewhere people wouldn't normally go. Otherwise they'd have a strange obstruction in their path...

Maybe some seperate room with a door that can only be opened from the inside? (of course, that door would have to be transparent too, otherwise they'd tag it anyway...

Spawn
Admin
Admin

Post by Spawn » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:53 pm

Yeah, the possiblities are nearly unlimited in new maps, but there should have been a good way to solve it in older, original maps as well :)

SparedLife
Pegasus Modteam
Pegasus Modteam

Post by SparedLife » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:15 am

That was a big problem in Duke3d maps (wow, that was a while back), I solved my problem by making the spawning points in rooms to high for anyone to get to. Put a puddle at the bottom so the person can jump down without dying. Set the room long and the spawn point far enough back that campers can't see if you've spawned there or not. To make it interesting the only guns were in the spawning rooms. Wherever you spawned was the gun you used. Just ammo, armor, and health laying around on the playing field. Also to stop sniping from the spawn points I put a hurt area on the floor just passed the spawn point to the edge of the dropoff so they had to run off the area to keep from getting hurt.

sonic goo

Post by sonic goo » Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:33 am

Hmm... I just played some HL2-DM games where I got the message 'spawn protected'. But the only effect I noticed was that whenever I switched to machine gun as I always do when I spawn, I got automatically switched back to grav gun and got spawn killed during all the switching... :huh:

Coty
Pegasus Modteam
Pegasus Modteam

Post by Coty » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:20 am

Spawn control is implimented in the Hal9000 maps. I have a world model box around the spawn areas for like 5-10 seconds. The one where you spawn in the corners, I think hal9000_h, it has a "force field" letting you shoot out, but others can't shoot you...

Hap solved the problem in Purge by implimenting "no barrier" volumns. You couldn't lay down mines in these areas... Of course, these were objects in code combined with mappers making the "no barrier" volumns in their maps.

Another thing Purge has is when a player spawns he is invisible for about 5 seconds. He can move, so the spawn killer will have the disadvantage.

sonic goo

Post by sonic goo » Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:00 pm

Like having a box triggered by the spawn and removed after 5 seconds (like a sliding door or with another trigger)?

Spawn
Admin
Admin

Post by Spawn » Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:12 pm

More like having a box disappear within 5-10 seconds, you bound a brush to a worldmodel and gave it a hidden 1 command, right Coty? and the sound and flashing made it even better B)

Check out the map and you'll see, it's pretty cool :thumb:

Coty
Pegasus Modteam
Pegasus Modteam

Post by Coty » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:01 am

exactly Spawn

Yes

A world model with a brush panning the translucent force field texture. Hidden 0 and Hidden 1 to show and hide it, and a soundfx on without looping.

msg forcefield (hidden 0); msg soundfx on; delay 5.0 (msg forcefield (hidden 1))

Alexa

Post by Alexa » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:01 pm

By the way, because of this topic I made a Anti-Basestorm/Spawnkill Mod

Lookielookie here:

UNITY HQ Anti-Basestorm/Spawnkill Mod thread

Not that it would be used or sumtin, but since I found out that lotsa peeps dont't know that...
People who are rather more than six feet tall and nearly as broad across the shoulders often have uneventful journeys. People jump out at them from behind rocks then say things like, "Oh. Sorry. I thought you were someone else."

Belladonna

Post by Belladonna » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:17 am

I forgot all about that mod you were working on, Alexa. It's all tested and good to go? I'd love to see it in action. :)

Alexa

Post by Alexa » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:32 pm

Jup, tested and ready to be used. Spawn, Spacko and Sug tested it with me few days ago, think they found it OK. You could argue about the length of the protection time, the respawner has a big advantage...

Realistically it won't be used, at least unless I can bundle it with general bugfixes etc. for which I don't have the time right now...
People who are rather more than six feet tall and nearly as broad across the shoulders often have uneventful journeys. People jump out at them from behind rocks then say things like, "Oh. Sorry. I thought you were someone else."

jedwabna poszewka 50x60